Thursday 9 March 2000

Recruiting staff

I conned two friends Nicki and Sue to help me run the Drop Inn, I purchased some paint from Wilko and with some of the young people we painted the rooms of the basement to their liking. Sue, Nicki and myself each put £1 in to open a bank account in the name of the Drop Inn. We opened at night and sat drinking coffee just at a table in the middle of the bar area, young people came through and just looked at us, we didn’t approach them, just said hello. Gradually they approached us and got talking. Within the first 6 weeks of opening we came across anything we could ever have to deal with, sexual activity in the back room, alcohol on the premises, drug addicts being in the rooms and violence. I got a few of the young people together explaining we had to set some ground rules, the youth committee was bourn and made the first rules and policies. We had to think and act on our feet.

No comments:

Up-and-Coming Drop Inn Events